Monday, March 4, 2013

The Jump

The last post (also my first) was supposed to be short and concise but it ended up being a semi-angry, steam-blowing post.  I explained my motivations (in too much detail) for quitting my current easy and predictable life.  This post will quickly summarize why I want to quit, what I plan on doing and how I will get there.  And I really mean quickly because it's almost 9 pm my time and I'm really tired from work and I still have several things do to before the night is over! Oh the life of the working, modern person!

The Jump  

Disclaimer:  The Jump is a metaphor.
Don't literally jump off a cliff!
The jump from the known to the uncharted, the predictable to the unpredictable, the stable to the ever-changing.  I will go up to my boss and bring him the news that in three weeks time I will be turning in my resignation letter.  I could wait until it's two weeks and save me the pain of dealing an extra week with half-angry, half-envious co-workers who will give me their two cents on my resignation...whether I want to hear it or not.  But I don't hate my co-workers or my supervisor or the organization I work for, quite simply I was not made for 8 hour shifts in a sunless cubicle, turning my butt cheeks into silly putty, so I will give them enough time to start looking for a replacement.

Why quit?  I don't want to spend my youth living a predictable, comfortable life when I only have one life to live and there is so much to do and see!  I'm not being a rebellious child with no sense of responsibility.  I will work hard on my online businesses during my trips and adventures and take part-time jobs.  Why wait to retire when you can have many mini-retirements throughout your life?

The Flight...or Fall

Hopefully much will be learned travelling and exploring, sailing my ship of to a destination unknown.  If I fail in my online business pursuits, or succumb to the pressures of insecurity, instability and financial uncertainty I can always start a 9-5 job again.  That would be the fall.  Succeeding in traveling and sustaining myself would be considered the flight, choppy as it may be at the start.

Taking The Leap

To Jump my legs need to be strong enough to carry me to the cliff and my mind strong enough to overcome my survival instinct to do something as insane as to jump off a mountain. Leaping starts long before I throw myself from the cliff...it starts with mental preparation and physical conditioning months before I ever get to the cliff.  That  is where I am at right now, and I get cold feet every 10 minutes.  But I will save that for another post.

To Leap I need to save enough to survive on my own without any income for at least 6 months.  My body should be in shape to carry me through my adventures.  My determination must be as hard as rock or otherwise succumb to fear and pressure.  These have become my main obstacles up to date.  But again, more on that in further posts.

Time to get ready for tomorrow's workday.  Maybe I'll have time tomorrow to write another post.

No comments:

Post a Comment