Saturday, March 9, 2013

On Not Regretting Life Decisions

My life has been turned upside down ever since December 2012.  The holiday season was at its peak and I was at my low.  Unhappy, sad, depressed but worse of all in denial, my terrible state was obvious to no one, not even me.  Around friends I was smiles and always talkative - when I had the time -.  I was no different around family.  My life a success after college, nothing could possibly be wrong in my life.  That's what we all thought.

Working life is great...unless you don't like it

From the first day of my job search up until, well, recently, was all about following the acceptable and "natural" progression of life.  College, internships, a job with benefits after college that pays well (that's were I'm at) I was following the rule book step-by-step.  Attending college had been a no brainer; a good education and a fun experience, it put me in an advantageous position over many people.  A job was part necessity part fitting in.  I wanted financial independence and stability (need) but I also wanted to fit in with my peers who were either looking for a job or applying to grad school (fitting in).  The problem was there was no want or absolute desire in the equation.  While the job sounded exciting and I believed in the mission of the organization I had no burning desire to work 9-5 at a cubicle.  This realization did not come to me until December.

Life with no regrets.  Not yet.

College I don't regret.  Getting a 9-5 job isn't a regret either.  I believe that those life experiences that impact you the most are the ones to learn from the most.  Had I never worked a 9-5 I probably would have never decided to take this new life path, or even written this blog.  It taught me what I don't like to do in life.  I learned something new about myself through trial and error.  Mistakes (or as I like to call them, life experiences) shape us, teaching us more about ourselves than the happiest experiences.  The key is to learn from those experiences and take the necessary steps to change accordingly.  Without change, life stays the same and when our path remains unaltered we are prone to regretting our choices.

The next step

My next step is to take steps towards a life more of my liking.  Here's what I've learned these past two years:

1) Waking up at 6:30 am M-F is not for me.  I may have adapted to it but I hate it.  I could do 8 am.

2) I hate sitting in a cubicle with no sunlight.  Whatever I do next, there will be windows where I work.

3) My butt cheeks don't like to hold my weight up for 8 hours a day.  They like to stretch.  Less sitting and more standing please.

4) Independence in my work is a whole lot better than working for someone else.  I want to work on my projects in my fashion.  Advice and constructive feedback I can take, even working with others for joint goals is fine.  I can even work for someone I just want a freer hand in how I do things.

These are not very specific at all.  Most people would agree with me on these points.  The majority of people don't have the luxury or taken the steps to accomplish their working goals.  I will try to.

Taking these points into mind, I will use it as a guideline in life.  Reverting to this list will hopefully keep me from working a cubicle job again.



No comments:

Post a Comment